Thursday, October 28, 2010

Happy Birthday Camilla Ann!

We can't believe that 11 days ago, our sweet Camilla Ann was born! She arrived via emergency c-section due to being breach on Monday October 18th at 1:36pm weighing in at 5lbs 7oz and stretching a tall 19.5" long. We simply adore her!


39 weeks!

Leaving home to have one last family of 3 dinner, then to the hospital!

Mommy was scheduled for induction on that Monday 10/18, but because at my last checkup, I was only 1cm dilated and 50% effaced, Dr. Duggar had me check into the hospital Sunday night to start pre-induction by taking Cytotech. However, upon the nurses examining me after getting to the hospital they discovered I'd progressed to 3cm on my own since my last appt! Dr. Duggar was notified and told them to skip the cytotech pill and just start me on pitocin as scheduled at 5am the next morning. Nurses woke Mommy up bright and early so I could get one last shower in and get freshened up for the day - it was fun to think that by the next shower, I'd have Camilla! Part of me got sad, so I cried in the shower (damn hormones), but then as preggie hormones do, I did a 180 and got happy within 25 seconds of shedding tears. Nurses then started pitocin once I was ready and off I went to the happy land of labor!

Somewhere around 9-10am they broke my water (the MOST uncomfortable part) - it reminds you very quickly what it'd be like to not have bladder control. Trust me people, be glad you have bladder control - having your water broken makes you feel like you just peed yourself. Not glamourous in the least. But motherhood rarely is.


Looking happy (thanks to the drugs!)

Around 11-ish I was having really strong contractions reaching into the 100's +....if you don't know how strong that is....it's like your body is resting at 0, then as your contraction strengthens, the numbers climb higher. I was able to tolerate up into the 40-50's, but after that I wanted to punch someone in the face. That's a serious kind of hurting going on to want to do that! I received my epidural and was much happier. I have forgotten to mention that I had med students following my 'case' all day....no worries, I had agreed to it and so I had some fun with them. They were all fun and helped pass the time. As they were all talking about the differences in my contractions, it was interesting to hear them discuss the 'medical' part of it all - it was like my own little science/school lesson. So there I was in major labor, gettin' my learn on. Now THAT's multi-tasking!
Rod was a champ through the entire morning as he arrived when they started pitocin, so I know he was exhausted. Daddy's have a hard time with waiting. And patience. He did good though - no lion pacing back and forth this time around like he had done when Sophia arrived. Although, he did go and treat himself to a yummy looking lunch in the Dr's lounge (thanks to his dad giving him access!). It only made Mommy hungrier! He got lunch, I got more pitocin.
Soon, they checked me and discovered I was fully dilated and ready to push! Delivering Sophia was an absolute breeze, so I was extremely calm when it came time to deliver Camilla. Enter the drama here. My nurse calmly asked me after a few good pushes, "Did your firstborn have lots of hair?" and I replied enthusiastically, "Yes, she had TONS"....I'm not sure if that is a code line used by nurses to notify the Dr. that something might be up, but Dr. Duggar came over (he was prepping the cord blood collection kit) and examined me and discovered Camilla was BREACH. WHAT?! I freaked out. Only a few days earlier, he had examined me and confirmed she was indeed vertex (head first). Oh my God...I knew what this meant: C-section. I was absolutely, undeniably terrified. I simply told Dr. Duggar to do what he needed to do to get her out quickly and safely - as she was already in the birth canal. I knew we were limited on time. Meanwhile, more than me freaking out, I'm pretty sure the med students were freaking out too...however, this was an added 'excitement' factor to their day. All of the sudden nurses, Dr.'s and med students were rushing everywhere getting things ready to go to surgery. Meanwhile I was completely melting down - I just didn't expect this. I couldn't pull myself together - but could anyone blame me? Had I had a planned C-section, this would've been okay.
Into surgery I went and when the drape was pulled up I was more terrified than ever before - but I had an awesome anesthesist who kept me calm & reassured. Before I knew it, he had me so calm the next thing I heard was Dr. Duggar saying "here she is!" and hearing Camilla cry! Then of course I cried and I think Rod teared up too - but that could've been that I finally let up on my death grip too!? Camilla in her barenaked glory was brought around the drape so I could see her and then whisked off to the other side of the room for the first few tests, etc. They then wiped her down and swaddled her and handed her to Rod...he was SO proud! I got to kiss her and I cried some more...it was all finally over!

Happy Birthday Camilla Ann!



Rod followed Camilla and I was all sewn up - listening to Dr. Duggar quiz the med students on what he was doing and why and the methods, etc. Actually kinda interesting to hear...kind of like a book on tape as you ride in the car...except a quick med quiz as you're sewn up! I had to get my kicks where I could....I was just traumatized and elated within a 15min period. I went into recovery where one of the nurses had a Strawberry frapp (or smoothie something) from Starbucks and all I could think of was, "mmm, could I have a sip of that?". I'm crazy. It was nice and quiet there and I just closed my eyes and dreamt of sweet Camilla and how she was going to be worth every bit of what I just endured. I was so right!

I went up to the post-partum ward where my mom, dad & brother were waiting. Rod was still with Camilla in the nursery but would be there soon. No matter how old you are, it's nice to see your mom, dad & brother after major surgery! My brother had taken the day off work for the big event and brought the most beautiful pink flowers (that are just as beautiful 10days later!) an adorable balloon (that is still floating high) and a little gift for Sophia. He's the best!


Soon Daddy arrived with Camilla and I could snuggle her for the first time! I was in heaven! She was so sweet and tiny...like a little baby doll. There I sat, a new mommy all over again, holding the sweet baby that I had prayed so hard for! She is such a little miracle and I then understood how much my heart was capable of overflowing with love for not one little girl, but TWO. I was overcome with joy and I couldn't believe that I had two beautiful children to call my very own!

Later that afternoon/early evening Lopez's, brought Sophia up to meet her new sister and it was LOVE at first sight! Sophia had been waiting, and waiting, and waiting for her sister to be born...and now she could finally kiss Camilla rather than my tummy. She was elated and probably the proudest new big sister I have ever seen! I was thrilled to see that sweet moment between them as now it would be the beginning of a life-long relationship I had always wanted myself - having a sister. I had quick flashes of all the things they'd share together...and even the little spats they'd have. I smiled.




Our hospital stay was great...Camilla was doing well despite a bit of slight jaundice and a few low bloodsugar levels. With formula supplementation, we brought sugar levels back up to where they should be and all is well. She could barely drink an ounce or more, but now she is our resident piggy! She drinks 2oz and nurses on top of that....oink, oink!! She's growing rapidly - at her weight check this past week, she's up to 5lbs 5oz...almost back to her birthweight. I can't wait to see what they say at her 2wk check up this next Monday. She is also a very calm and easy baby....happy to be held, but sleeps and is generally happy. Barely squeaks when you change her diaper....well, she cries, but it's such a small tiny cry. It's almost cute to hear!


Dressed & ready to go home

Sophia with Camilla in a toy cradle great Grandpa Schultz made!



We are simply elated over our little Camilla and can't wait to do more updates! Check in with us often as I am making it a goal to update the blog weekly (if not more). I've discovered being a mommy to two little girls is a BUSY job! Sophia wears me out more than Camilla these days - pray I can survive these first few weeks! HA!


No comments: