Friday, August 19, 2011

The Beginning of the End: Sophia's 1st Day School

Time for school and all that comes with it - new teachers, new rules, new desks, a mix of new & old friends and new curriculums.  Sophia had a fantastic schoolyear last year, despite a rough start, but learned so many new & exciting things (writing/reading her own name...and even some other words), along with gaining an astounding amount of confidence in performing tasks in general (school-related or not).  The summer kept Sophia busy with VBS, Tennis camps/clinics, swimming lessons, vacation and even summer school!  Talk about a lady with a full schedule! 

Sophia, 4.5yrs old
August 17th, 2011
Because I'm a sucker for doing fun 'little' things, I decided that I wanted to make Sophia's first day of school memorable.  It was my way of repeating the memorable tradition my own mom started during my childhood of cooking a 'first-day-of-school-breakfast'.  I decided that I'd do something a bit different, by just making the breakfast table a fun/festive place...and Sophia even got a special gift...a new bracelet and tiny clip-on earrings (ooo, how fancy!).  The first day was a success and we can't wait to see what all Sophia accomplishes this year under Mrs. Holston's guidance! 
Good Morning Sunshine!
Sophia's PINK desk set-up at school :)


Sophia came home very excited and Mrs Holston sent one of the best little 'reminder' notes home that is worth sharing...it could even be duplicated for mommies wanting to remind their own kids how important they really are to the family:

Dear Sophia,

I am so happy to have you in my class! The things in the bag will help you tell others about your new classmates.
The sticker is to remind you that we all stick together and help each other.
The puzzle piece is to remind you that we need you to make our group complete.
The cotton ball is to remind you that our class is full of kind words and warm feelings.
The apple is to remind you that we will learn something new each day.
The eraser is to remind you that we will all make mistakes, and that is okay.
The Hershey kiss is from me!

Love,
Mrs. Holston


 

No comments: