Sunday, August 14, 2011

Once Upon A Dream...

I've always been a very musical person, playing both flute and piano by the tender age of 8 and singing since I can remember, putting on performances at home and on very stages in plays, musicals, recitals and concerts.  Now as an adult & mother, I treasure the gift of music so much more.   I dreamt of becoming a mother one day so I could experience that iconic moment of rocking my baby to sleep in their nursery as they are sung a sweet lullabye. 

Music is not only a large part of who I am as an individual, wife and mother - but it's an integral part of my communication with others. 

When pregnant with both of the girls, I found that I could show how much I loved them by singing to them.  Sometimes they'd respond by moving around, and other times it was just as special when they stayed still - as if I had lulled them to sleep.  Now I sing to them during our daily routines - getting dressed, bathtime, playtime and especially bedtime.  It's become a sweet tradition between us girls - I just hope they'll cherish it as much as I do and reminisce on it when they're older.  Even better, I hope they do the same for their children! 


When I was pregnant with Sophia, I was given one of my most cherished CD's as a gift....Miracle by Celine Dion.  This album speaks to every mother and even child - there are many sweet, sweet songs that I simply adore.  If you are needing a special gift for a mother-to-be, or even for Mother's Day, this is a great choice (buy it here). A perfect example of how I communicate through music is the lyrics (below) from Celine's Miracle album expresses exactly how I feel about both Sophia & Camilla - something I could probably never find the right words for myself. 

A Mother's Prayer

I pray you'll be my eyes
And watch her where she goes
And help her to be wise
Help me to let go

Every mother's prayer
Every child knows
Lead her to a place
Guide her with your grace
To a place where she'll be safe

I pray she finds your light
And holds it in her heart
As darkness falls each night
Remind her where you are


Every mother's prayer
Every child knows
Need to find a place
Guide her with your grace
Give her faith so she'll be safe

Lead her to a place
Guide her with your grace
To a place where she'll be safe

Sweet Sisters:  Sophia & Camilla
October 2010
photo by Suzanne Williams Photography

I knew my own love of music had been successfully inherited by Sophia when she took lullabyes to a whole new level the night before I went to the hospital to have Camilla...

Sophia:
"Mommy...shhh.  Close your eyes.  Close them tight and I will sing you a lullabye...like, what do you think of 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'?"

Mommy:
"Sure. That sounds perfect!"

Sophia:
"Okay, close your eyes now Mommy, it's time to go night-night...."

And as I turned on my side, my sweet Sophia began singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in her most angelic little lullabye voice while stroking my hair.  I cried.  It was pitch black in our room, and poor Rod was sacked out, but I cried because it was such a pure love, shown through music.  If you know me well, then you know my passion for music runs deep - and now I could plainly see my own first-born shared that passion.

Sophia & Mommy sharing a quiet moment
just days before Camilla arrived
October 2010



These days, Sophia requests a lullabye (or two!) at bedtime after our prayers.  Below are some of our favorites for bedtime, naps and "just because":
  • Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star (lyrics)
  • Brahm's Lullabye aka "Lullabye & Goodnight" (lyrics)
  • Somewhere Over the Rainbow (my all-time favorite song!) (lyrics)
  • You Are My Sunshine (lyrics)
  • What A Wonderful World (lyrics)
  • Ave Maria (lyrics)
  • Like A Star by Corinne Bailey Rae (lyrics)
  • Once Upon A Dream (from Disney's Sleeping Beauty - my very favorite Disney movie!)  (lyrics)




I'm even guilty of dancing around the kitchen with Camilla singing this song, right after Sophia had watched the movie - it's obvious I can't help myself! 

Caught in the act:  Mommy serenading Camilla!
August 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A beautifully written post Julie. I totally relate to your connection to music and using it as a communication tool. I sing to my niece every time I visit and now she usually sings with me!! I also sing to my beloved boyfriend Mike as well. Your girls are beautiful!!! They are so lucky to have such a loving and beautiful mother!!